Welcome to the all new INTERNATIONAL FORMAT AWARDS.
This year C21, FRAPA and EMC are joining forces to jointly bring you the INTERNATIONAL FORMAT AWARDS - to celebrate the most creative formats and format creators.
Here’s all you need to know as previously published on C21media.net
On this page you will find all the information you need to know about the awards and how to enter the relevant category online. Before entering please be sure to review the full entry criteria, which provides tips on how to submit your entry in each category. The awards will be judged by a panel of the world’s leading format commissioners, and buyers and entering the awards puts your programming in front of this influential group of professionals. This panel currently features 22 executives, but will grow to 50 by the time the judging starts. If you are a formats commissioner or buyer and would like to be a judge please email us by clicking here.
The Awards are open to any show that first went to air during 2014 and is being marketed to the international community as a format.
- The entry period is January 12 – February 27
- The judging period is March 2 – March 27
- The finalists will be announced on March 31
- The awards will be presented at a gala dinner during MIPFormats on the evening of Saturday April 11 in Cannes.
If you are unsure about anything please call C21 on +44 (0) 20 7729 7460 and ask to speak to someone about entering the Format Awards.
- Best Studio Based Gameshow Format Studio Based Gameshows can cover everything from serious quizzes to physical studio games to cooking and dating games. At the core, they must take place in a closed studio environment and some game must be played, almost always with competition and winners. Enter this award
- Best Scripted Format These are scripted shows (either comedy or drama) that have been formatted for territories outside their country of origin. Enter this award
- Best Multi-platform Format Format that at their core have some platform aside from television integral to the show’s narrative. A website, social network page or telephony that is merely a promotional vehicle for the show would not qualify. The other non TV platforms have to interact with the casting, narrative or outcome of the show to make it a significant multi-platform format. Enter this award
- Best Comedy Format Comedy Format is for unscripted comedies, not sitcoms. These are comedy formats in studio or the field that might involve comedy sketches, improve, hidden camera, panels. They won’t be confused with actors in sitcoms but might be confused with quiz shows except, for comedies, the answers don’t matter. The laughs are the thing. Enter this award
- Best Competition Reality Format Comp Reality takes in everything from Survivor to So You Think You Can Dance. At the core, there is a winner. Participants (celebrities or public) are playing to win. All modern talent shows are Comp Reality. Even though a lot of the competition takes place in a studio, nowadays, nearly all have out of studio elements not least of which is public voting. Enter this award
- Best Factual Entertainment Format In our awards Factual Entertainment has a broader definition than used in Britain where Factual and Factual Entertainment mean different things. For these awards, Factual Entertainment Formats are formats, shot in the field or in studios where there is not competition but rather the exploration of a slice of life either for elucidation or for entertainment. The topics could be life or death (Deadliest Catch) or lifestyle (cooking). Enter this award
- Best Host of a Television Format This award is designed to recognise talent in front of the camera and will be given to the person the judges feel have played a key role in enhancing a format by the sheer strength of personality, flair and unique approach to fronting a television format. Enter this award
- Best Brand Driven Format More than just a bit of product placement or brand integration, this category is about Formats that owe their existence to a Brand or advertiser which has played a crucial part in the Format’s creation. The Format could be a Studio-Based Gameshow or Factual Entertainment chat show, but it was brought to television with the key input of a brand. Enter this award
- Formats Business Gamechanger Award This award will be presented to an executive, show or initiative that the judges feel has made the most significant contribution to moving the formats business forward. A shortlist will be compiled by the C21, EMC and FRAPA boards for consideration by the jury.
- The International Formats Business Gold Award 2015 This award will be chosen by by the C21, EMC and FRAPA boards for outstanding contribution to the formats business.